Thursday, October 16, 2014

Boys Who Cry

A man must stand straight and tall. He must be a role model for his peers. His emotions are to remain a general mystery, but he may show satisfaction, disappointment and anger. He may not be excessively joyous, overly expressive or show weakness in character. If a man does so, he is not a man and consequently not manly. Dropping his façade has the previous consequence. Therefore, crying is weak.

Men accepted these terms as young boys without reading the fine print because their parents tell them to “choke back those tears, you’re a man” and these “men” can suffer for it.
But a woman may give hugs and kisses, she can give compliments to friends, she can talk about her feelings and she may cry without anyone thinking less of her. She may express herself freely and will not be judged for it. She accepted these terms without having to read the fine print, because she’s a woman.

It’s a well-known fact that males cry less than females after elementary school. On average, men cry 1.4 times in a month while women cry about 5.3 times per month, almost four times as much (Brodesser-Akner). Yet guys have the same emotional awareness as girls, but just don’t express it.  They have to play it cool so that they aren’t seen as weak or vulnerable.

The root of the problem lies in the image of an ideal man, a strong, independent individual. The hunter, the Renaissance man, the working man. One “man” quotes that “crying and expressing feelings shows helplessness. Men are leaders and are meant to be. So they can not show that they are helpless.

I have never thought of males as the dominant gender. I grew up with just one parent, my father who played both roles. He cooked and cleaned and worked while raising two baby boys and two adolescent girls. My mother was my father and my father was still my father. There was never such a thing as a housewife in my home. It made sense to me that boys and girls would cry and express themselves in equal amounts.

So, as I entered elementary school, I thought it was natural to cry when one was hurt. I cried more often than other kids, but I was okay with that, and so were other kids for the time being. But as I grew older, I was repeatedly told that men don't cry and asked if I was a man, which I would always respond "yes." It seemed the natural thing to say, considering I was a boy, not a long stretch from a man.

But the issue wasn't that I was going to kindergarten and crying, I was a boy and I was crying.

I needed an outlet for fear, sadness, pain, anxiety, anger and I found it in crying, instead of building it up for weeks and releasing it in a fit of anger. “If you don’t learn how to work with your emotions, you’re a shadow figure, a small truncated version of yourself. It’s only a matter of time until the house of cards that you are falls apart,” says psychologist Kenneth Christian.

So guys, show your emotions. Cry when you need to, laugh when you want to, but, most of all, don’t be afraid. Every person has their fears and doubts, especially men, because of a standard society sets for them, but that shouldn’t stop them. Now, more than ever, is the time for expression of our emotions from happiness to confusion to anger to sadness, so have a good cry someday.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. I'm not exactly sure what to say about this post, it's so insightful and inspirational. I've never really thought about this topic, but now I find that it's actually very important for our society. I especially liked your last two paragraphs, they were really powerful and hit home. Sorry if I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I just found your post that exceptional. Nice reference in the title and nice background, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little, I found that my brother would cry less than the number of times I would cry. Whether he was being yelled at or scolded, he kept his face straight and showed no emotion. I never really understood that, because I knew he was scared and hurt, but he just never expressed it. He told me that "boys didn't cry". Also, when my grandpa died, my mom and my aunts were sobbing and seeking the comfort from each other, but my uncles did not shed one tear. I remember asking my cousin, and she told me that they didn't want to seem "weak" or "childish".

    I disagree with my brother and my uncles, because everybody is human, and everybody has emotions. I don't like how there are those gender stereotypes, because it says that since men are the dominant figures, then they shouldn't cry or show any emotions. Everybody is an individual, and everybody is equal. Men shouldn't hold back just because of the standards that society sets on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post because I was raised by my mom, a single mother. I saw her strong who at first needed my father for everything, but after moving to the U.S.A she changed to a more independent woman. I like this post because it is true, when i was little my dad would always tell me not to cry and hold it in, yet my mother said the opposite.

    Ever since my mom left my dad, she has always told me the same thing, never hurt a woman, and to always show my feelings because that's what matters the most.

    I personally think living in a house full of woman has changed me in a good way. I learned to express my feelings and not be embarrassed of showing a smile but yet again i don't like crying in front of any one because i rather not ruin someones day, just because of my problems. Instead I am happy to be alive and spend time with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post, love the responses. I completely agree that holding emotions inside has negative consequences. Cry away boys. : )

    ReplyDelete