Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Agnostic that Loves God

     An agnostic is a person that remains neutral in the existence of God or some deity. They cannot prove or disprove that God exists so they are neither an atheist nor a believer in God. It’s a little contradictory, therefore, than to call myself an agnostic that loves God. Make no mistake, I don’t believe in God or any deity.

     But billions of people believe and have believed in their own versions of God and, in the name of this god, they do great things and commit terrible acts. We can see this today in certain charity organizations and the Taliban, examples of the different interpretation of God’s will. When I say I love God, I think of the former and I also think of people who are going through a hard time. Often, these people pray to God and hope for a miracle.

     It’s this faith that makes me love God. This faith that people believe in with such fervor, that causes them to help each other indiscriminately (at least most of the time). This faith that someone a lot bigger than all of this cares for you and everyone, not only in your life but your afterlife. This faith that inspires many to lead better lives and saves quite a few. It’s this faith that gives hope to the hopeless, a way out for those trapped, a reason to keep going. That’s why I love God.

     However, it’s this same faith in a god that causes religious wars and terrorism. It strikes fear into people by threatening an eternity of pain in the afterlife. Countless have died in history and today because of a god that might actually be malevolent or not all-powerful. A famous argument by the Ancient Greek Epicurus against God goes like this:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent.
Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent.
Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?
     This argument, combined with the faith I see in the stricken, created a minor religious crisis in me last year and it developed into what I believe today: God may or may not exist and it’s okay if he does or doesn't. What matters is what happens in our lives. If people make good decisions because of God, then I say let this notion continue, so that they may live a good life.

    Maybe it’s inaccurate to say that I, the agnostic, love God. I think it’s better to say that I love the faith people put in Him and the good lives they lead because of it. So long as the uncertainty of God’s existence exists, people will continue to do good things and that’s why I love God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment